Flask: H22cm x Dm 16cm
Leather case: H23cm x 21.3cm
Rare sterling silver top
History of George Unite Sons
The business was founded by George Unite and James Hilliard in 1825 in Birmingham but the partnership was closed before 1845 and continued by George Unite until 1865.
The firm was active at 65 Caroline Street, Birmingham and also in London at Thavies Inn in 1854.
The firm manufactured gold and silver items such as caddy shells, cigar cases, pens, card cases, knives forks and spoons, etc...
In 1865 the firm changed to George Unite & Sons and one of its partners was George Richard Unite. After his death 1896, the firm continued with the partnership of William Henry Lyde (electroplate manufacturer) at 50 Newhall, Birmingham. In 1928 the business was converted into limited liability company as George Unite Son & Lyde Ltd.
The firm entered sterling silver marks at Birmingham Assay Office(as Unite & Hilliard in 1825 and various marks from 1832 to 1928 as George Unite, George Unite & Sons, George Unite Sons& Lyde Ltd), London Assay Office (1886 and 1889 as George R. Unite, small worker), Chester Assay Office (1897 and 1898: Harry Lyde trading as George Unite & Sons), Sheffield Assay Office (1861).
George Unite & James Hilliard - 1825
George Unite - before 1845 - 1865
George Unite & Sons 1865 - 1928
George Unite Sons & Lyde Ltd - 1928
Please refer to our photos as they form part of the description.